Terms and conditions
General terms and conditions of use
- We have an inclusion policy for what sorts of organisations and services we include on our Sightline directory. The inclusion policy appears on this page. We reserve the right to refuse to include organisations and services that do not meet the policy. In particular, we do not include private organisations providing care in the home, rehabilitation services, nutritional supplements and medical treatments.
- The inclusion of an organisation or service in Sightline does not mean that we endorse it or its products or services.
- When you submit details to us to be included on the directory you give us the right to use, reproduce and publish these and grant us a non-exclusive, irrevocable right to use and pass on all information that you submit.
- You shall indemnify us from and against all costs, claims damages and expenses made against us or incurred by us as a result of us publishing information submitted by yourselves including as a result of a claim by a third party alleging the use by us of this information infringes the intellectual property rights of a third party.
- We have the right to make additions to or deletions from the directory and modify or otherwise change the directory without notice.
- We cannot be held responsible for the actions of organisations or services outside of RNIB Group included in our directory.
- While we have taken every effort to ensure that the information on our directory is reliable and complete, we provide this directory and other materials on it only on an "as is" and "as available" basis. Each record shows the date that the record was last checked.
- If you have any reason to suspect information is incorrect or requires further details, please contact us so that we can investigate.
- The views expressed in descriptions of organisations and review comments are those of members of the public and do not necessarily reflect those of RNIB Group or its employees.
- We moderate reviews, new listings and changes to listings before they go live to ensure that they meet our content standards (see below). If your content does not meet these standards then we reserve the right to amend it or even reject it.
- We do not accept any responsibility for any errors or omissions in any data or any other material on or accessed through this website. We exclude all warranties (whether express or implied) in respect of such data and other material (including as to satisfactory quality, fitness for a particular purpose, non-infringement, compatibility, security or accuracy).
- Where you download data from this website you do so at your own risk.
- To the fullest extent that we may do so by law, we exclude our liability and that of our agents, employees or sub-contractors, for any loss, damage, claim, cost or expense however it may arise from your use or inability to use the directory . You shall indemnify us from and against all costs, claims damages and expenses made against us or incurred by us as a result of your use of this directory.
- We do not exclude our liability for damages resulting from our fraud or for death or personal injury resulting from our negligence.
- In no circumstances will we, our agents, employees or sub-contractors be liable to you for any business interruption or loss of use, data, profits, contracts or goodwill or any anticipated savings.
- All rights in the directory will remain the property of the Royal National Institute of Blind People. All rights reserved.
Your content must not:
- contain any material which constitutes or encourages conduct that could be considered a criminal offence, give rise to civil liability, or otherwise be contrary to the law
- contain any material which is defamatory
- contain any material which is obscene or offensive
- infringe any copyright, database rights, trade mark or other intellectual property right or other right of any other person
- be likely to deceive any person
- be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party such as a contractual duty or obligation of confidentiality
- be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person
- be likely to disrupt Sightline in any way
- give the impression it emanates from the Sightline team or employees of RNIB Group where this is not the case
- advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act, for example copyright, trade mark infringement, or computer misuse
- for reviews, originate from employees of the organisation concerned.
Sightline is a specialist directory of organisations and services:
- that people affected by sight loss (including friends, family and carers) are likely to need and use as a result of someone having sight loss
- or whose main focus is helping people with sight loss or disability – particularly organisations of or for blind and partially sighted people
- or whose work is relevant to RNIB's strategy.
Because it is a specialist directory, we do not usually include mainstream organisations.
Organisations must have one of the following methods of contact available to members of the public: a telephone number to call, an email address, a postal address, or a contact form on their website.
With the exception of Social Services and local societies, if a list or database of certain types of organisations exists elsewhere then we prefer to link to that list or database rather than have Sightline repeat all the records in it. This will prevent duplication of effort and recognises the accuracy of the original list.
Examples of organisations that we will include
- local societies (independent charities around the UK that offer support and advice to people)
- Sensory Impairment Teams (specialist teams within Social Services) or details of first contact teams if referrals must go through them
- registered charities that offer support for people with specific eye conditions and relevant health conditions
- national disability organisations for different aspects of life (such as deafblindness, education, parenting, sports and leisure)
- national support organisations for people affected by sight loss
- national professional bodies
- official UK distributors for key assistive technology products
- major suppliers of a product or products specifically designed or adapted for use by blind and partially sighted people
- partners, suppliers and distributors for RNIB (if not already covered by the above)
- eye hospitals and clinics that provide medically approved treatments for eye conditions
- specialist educational establishments
- local authority teams offering support to blind and partially sighted students and their families
- specialist leisure providers.
Examples of organisations that we will not include
- organisations other than eye hospitals that provide treatments for eye conditions
- manufacturers of nutritional supplements
- private care or rehabilitation (even if free to the customer – we encourage customers to ask Social Services or local brokerage services for recommended services)
- organisations providing eye tests and eye health care in the home (even if free to the customer – we encourage customers to contact their existing optometrist or their local Primary Care Trust who keep a list of optometrists in the area who provide home visits and should be able to provide their details).
Changes to the terms and conditions
We may change our terms and conditions and policies from time to time, so please check this page periodically.